I’m sure you’ve seen posts about blogging on Pinterest and its wild claims. Things like, “how I made $10,o00 this month as a stay at home mom from a blog”.
Maybe you haven’t actually seen these. Maybe you have and it’s piqued your interest. Maybe you’re convinced it’s a pyramid scheme and/or a scam.
Well, I can tell you first and foremost: it’s totally not a scam.
I’ve been blogging for a little over a year, and while I’m just beginning to turn a profit (largely thanks to a course I’ll talk more about later), I know many others who make upwards of $1000 a month working 10-20 hours a week on their blog. And others who make much more – up to $100,000 a month.
As a police wife, it can be a great way to invest your free time and help support your family – especially because of its flexibility. You can work anytime, anywhere, as long as you have a computer.
But as a police wife, there are some things you might want to consider first.
Do you know how hard it is to find individually wrapped candies that are either blue or wrapped in blue? Way harder than I expected. I thought I’d at least be able to find a blue raspberry candy or something. I mean, there was something funny about Mary Jane candies – but those might make a good 4/20 gift. I swear, police officers and stoners are equally likely to make pot jokes – just in completely different circumstances.
I really wanted to put something together as a gift for the department for Police Week, and I was hoping for something clever – but it just wasn’t happening, apparently. So, I went with an old standby: Hershey kisses.
Just 8 hours after my son was born, after more than 30 hours of hard labor followed by a C-section, my husband was back at work.
It’s just the first of many times the job has had to come before our family.
I know what it’s like to feel resentful of my husband’s job (and sometimes my husband by extension), but I realized that my son may feel the same way someday… and that worries me.
I know I can’t protect my son from all the pain in the world, and I know the difficulties of police life aren’t things I can fully take away, but the one thing I don’t want is for it to affect his relationship with his father.
This post contains affiliate links. Read full disclosure here.
I remember the first time I saw my husband in his uniform. It blew my mind.
I mean, not only did he look super handsome (there’s something to be said about a man in uniform, after all ;)) and he’d shaved his face completely for the first time since I’d known him, but it reminded me of the new person he was becoming.
That uniform signified the new power and responsibility he had. It signified the commitment he’d made to protect and serve, no matter what it cost. Whether the cost was just a much-needed day off, or his safety, or even his life.
But that uniform also reminded me that with that commitment, I was now second in his life. Don’t get me wrong – when it’s his choice, I come first. But when it’s not? The job always comes first. No matter whether I’m sick, no matter if we have a newborn… if the world needs him, he’s there.
It’s a lot like being married to Batman, I swear, and there’s nothing more frustrating than when I need my husband and that bat signal shows up and takes him away.
Because of all the sacrifices he has to make for the job, the statistic that we only have a 25% chance of making it is ever-present in my mind. With every frustration I experience because of the job, I remember how important my marriage is to me. Being one of the 75% of law enforcement marriages that doesn’t make it is not good enough for me.
Because you know what? I’m determined. I’m not one to just give up in the face of adversity. In fact, the harder things get, the more determined I get to be successful. I want to beat the odds, and whatever it takes, my marriage is worth it – especially now that we have kids.There’s nothing more frustrating than when I need my husband and that bat signal shows up and takes him away.Click To Tweet
At times, the statistics about law enforcement marriage have scared me. Overall, though, they’ve been a catalyst to make me more careful, more intentional about caring for my marriage. It forces me to realize that the marriage of my dreams isn’t going to happen by chance. It’s going to happen because we worked for it.
If you want to divorce-proof your marriage, these 5 things are what you’ll want to focus on.
Sometimes, my husband has days that just straight-up suck.
Granted, we all have those. I have those. But his sucky days always seem just a little suckier than my own. (How many times can I use the word “suck”?)
Seriously, though. I might complain that our son would not. stop. throwing. tantrums. all day long, but when he gets home and has gotten into a fight with someone high on drugs or seen something he really, truly wishes he hadn’t, that pretty much takes the cake.
I can’t tell you how much I admire him (and his fellow officers) for the sacrifices they make. I’m glad they’re willing and able to do the things I’m not.
There’s a lot of bad press about cops lately. Have you noticed? Who am I kidding: of course you have. It’s impossible to miss… unfortunately. There are countless articles that call the police power-hungry, over-militarized, trigger-happy, insensitive, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
If you’re anything like me, they strike a nerve (to say the least!)
You know your husband. You know his friends. You know them as people who feel called to law enforcement because they want to make the world a better place. You know how their jobs touch their hearts, even when they have a hard time showing it.
My husband doesn’t have a lot of close friends, but he has one who’s been a constant ever since they first met.
He’s always there for us. He was at our out-of-state wedding without hesitation. When the Hubs was faced with the prospect of losing his job, Paul drove four hours to where we lived at the time just to be with us. And then there’s the time he pulled our car out of a ditch after a snafu with AAA, or the time he helped us get rid of a mattress.
You know that phrase, “There’s something about a man in uniform”? It’s totally true.
But it’s not just that they’re super attractive. That “something” is also a little quirkiness that comes from sleep deprivation, a high-stress career, and quite frankly, close contact with some weird people. Police officers live a weird life and we, as the women who love them, do so as well.
There are a lot of weird things you deal with as a police wife… but here are nine you might be able to relate to 🙂
It’s no secret I love freezer cooking. Especially when the Squish was younger, it was often the only way dinner got on the table without making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches… which is probably what I’d eaten for both breakfast and lunch. Even now, it’s a great way to take a little pressure off if I have a busy week ahead of me. Having dinner ready in the freezer to pull out the night before that I can then “set and forget” in the crock pot gives me more time during the day to play with the baby or get other chores done. I try to plan to compile the meals when the Hubs has a day off, or even if I can just snag a few hours of help. Sometimes it’s a nap time event. But either way, in under two hours, I can get 7-14 meals prepped and only have to clean up after myself once, instead of cleaning up after each one of those 7-14 meals. I don’t honestly know how I lived before I made use of my crock pot.
Fun fact: I hate a lot of new-agey stuff.
I roll my eyes so hard when I see a lot of the example affirmations on Pinterest – “Money just flows to me”, for example. Um, really?
I mean, it’s one of those “whatever floats your boat” type things for me, but I’m a little too stubborn and too much of a concrete fact-driven thinker. It’s the same reason Hypnobirthing was a personal no-go (don’t tell me it doesn’t hurt! just tell me how to deal with the pain!)