We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
If I’m being honest, I hated my husband’s time in the academy.
For one thing, he was far away 4 days a week (since it was an out-of-town academy) and we were living with my in-laws, with whom there was admittedly some tension.
On top of that, we were in a completely new town where I didn’t really know anyone.
Oh and the cherry on top? I was 14 weeks pregnant when he started the academy. Hormones, baby.
It wasn’t pretty.
I wish I’d thought to create a set of these letters when my husband was gone! I know it would have made the time apart easier to feel like I was doing something to keep us close. Plus, it would have been a fun creative project, which always makes me a little happier.
I mean, not that I wasn’t busy – I started a quilt, which I still to this day haven’t finished… So a project like this would have been a smidge more productive too 🙂
In any case, if you’re preparing for your husband to leave for the academy, you might be a little anxious on how it’ll impact your marriage. After all, you’re going to be spending a lot of time apart (even if he doesn’t stay at the academy like mine did). And he’s going to be super stressed out.
Just think of it as preparation for police life – which is a good thing even if it sounds lame. It takes time but you’ll get there, I promise.
But in all seriousness, taking the time to do something like this is a great way to help keep your husband feeling motivated and supported, which is only going to make your marriage stronger.
Don’t feel like you’re restricted to just love notes, either! There’s so many ways you can get creative with these. Like for a letter after an intense session of PT? You could write a short note on a tube of Bengay and wrap it in blue paper.
You may also consider doing cheesy stuff like perfuming the paper or even using special stationery to write the letters on. Just get creative, because it’s half the fun.
15 Open When Letter Ideas for the Academy-Bound Recruit
- Open on your first day.
- Open before your first test.
- Open when you need to know how much I love you.
- Open at the halfway mark.
- Open after an intense session of PT.
- Open when you need to smile.
- Open after you’ve been pepper sprayed.
- Open when you’re questioning whether this really is the right career for you.
- Open when you need a pick-me-up.
- Open after you get tased.
- Open when you need to know how proud I am of you.
- Open when you feel far away from me.
- Open when you’re discouraged.
- Open before your final exam.
- Open when you’re finished!